Gabriel San Román is a multimedia journalist from Anaheim, California. He worked as co-producer on the daily drive time Uprising morning show on KPFK Pacifica Radio in Los Angeles from 2005–2011. In addition to radio, he began authoring articles for the Orange County Weekly in 2006 and has since become a contributing writer. San Román’s interviews, reviews and writings have additionally been published in Truthout, Z Magazine, and Common Dreams as well as numerous other online and print media outlets.
“Venceremos”: Víctor Jara and the New Chilean Song Movement
Author: Gabriel San Román • Foreword by T.M. Scruggs
Publisher: PM Press
Format: Pamphlet, ePub, PDF, mobi
Size: 8.5 x 5.5
Page count: 40
Subjects: History-Chile/Politics-Activism/ Music-Folk
“A well-written history and analysis that never forgets what the subject matter is: music for the ages.“
—Gustavo Arellano, editor, OC Weekly, and syndicated columnist for ¡Ask a Mexican!
“Gabriel San Román provides a
thoughtful and comprehensive overview of the New Chilean Song Movement.
Chile’s music of the 1960s and early 1970s was not only a milestone in
Latin American popular culture, its importance transcended the strictly
artistic to assume social and political significance. San Román
insightfully interweaves the music’s artistic development with Chile’s
tumultuous history of those years.“
—James Brennan, professor and chair of history, University of California, Riverside
- Gabriel San Roman Remembers Víctor Jara, the Man and the Movement
- Singing Songs of Struggle: How a Folk Music Movement Helped Elect a Marxist Reformer in Chile
- Newer Songs: Venceremos Reviewed on Red Wedge
- Gabriel San Roman Interviewed
- Gabriel San Roman on From the Vault: The Coup d’Etat in Chile
- Historic Verdict Holds Florida Resident Liable for Victor Jara’s Murder
- Activist Chris Crass On How Whites in OC and Beyond Can Help Black Lives Matter
- Mein Lied ist ein freies Lied: Remembering Victor Jara in German!
- How the New Chilean Song Movement Remembered the Iquique Miners Massacre
- Celebrating Inti-Illimani’s 40th Anniversary in 2007
- In the Name of Violeta Parra
- From the Vault: My Radio Documentary on ’73 Chilean Coup Re-Airs
- Anaheim and the Future of América
- Legendary Labor Singer/Organizer Joe Hill Gets Immortalized in San Pedro
- Three Chilean Ex-Army Officials Charged in the Murder of Iconic Singer Victor Jara
- Ralph Chaplin’s “Solidarity Forever” Turns 100!
- Orange County’s First-Ever Anarchist Bookfair Is Coming in May!
- Family of Slain Chilean Folk Singer Victor Jara Finally Get Their Date in US Court
- Disney Labor Unions Announce $15 Living Wage Campaign for Anaheim Resort